Monday, April 30, 2007

Attack of the People Eating Polliwogs!

Be careful. Very, very careful....
My sweet little tadpoles have a darker side to them. They eat raw meat.
I researched what to feed my wogs and one article suggested a small piece of raw chicken, steak, or hamburger. I decided on the hamburger since I could easily roll it into portions I thought might be fitting for my group. Within a few minutes several began eating it. They seemed to like it OK but it made the water a bit mucky and somehow it just didn't seem right. I know as adults they eat insects but still raw meat scattered on the bottom of their aquarium just didn't seem right.
I decided to try another suggestion-cooked lettuce. This one they loved! I can't tell you what it means to be able to feed the hungry crowd something they enjoy! And they love my cooking! If only it were so easy to feed my family.

Psst....here's my secret recipe...
A few small pieces of romaine or green leaf lettuce (not iceberg)
I prefer the organic as I don't want to risk making them ill with chemicals used on non-organic produce.
Tear into small pieces. The baby salad lettuce is perfect.
Put several pieces in microwave bowl, add water to cover and cook for about 3 minutes. I usually stop the microwave halfway to stir. Cool down. Leaves should be very soft. Drop leaves in, discard water.